Sunday, March 01, 2009

Lost in translation

Fredrik Kalseth has an interesting post about which natural language we should use when we design our Ubiquitous Language. Judging by the post and the comments, I conclude we are not quiet there, yet.

We are torn between all Natural, all English, or a split where we use our Natural Language for our domain and English for the technical.

For the time being, my take on this is going for all Natural. The main reason is I recently found myself in an unknown domain. When this happen, I know there will be border cases which cannot easily be identified as domain or technical. There will even be border cases I fail to identity.

I would rather keep my flow, than spending energy deciding on something I probably never understood in the first place.

The easiest way were to define the problem away: Norwegian is mandatory for the domain, anyway, so I went for an all-Norwegian approach.

No comments: