Monday, September 03, 2007

The value of enjoyable work

This one got me thinking: Chinese Factory Worker Can't Believe The Shit He Makes For Americans.

I know the sinking feeling I get when I fail to see the value in my work. I usually get that feeling after working long hours over a longer period, without any meaningful progress. Or when I am idle. But I can't imagine how this poor fellow really feels. How awful it must be to do worthless things, day after day.

Now, some of the items seems worthless due to cultural differences. I mean, to me it is just as unusual not to have a car, as it is for a Chinese to have one. So a soda-can holder is valuable if its usable and your car doesn't have one built-in.

But all that other crap, which clearly is not built to last. Why do we buy them?

No comments: